🔶 Hifiman HE6SE

Does anyone have a link to a quality 3.5mm plug that will fit in the HE6 that I can wire speaker wires up to?

Thank a look at some of these. You need one with an extended neck like the Rean one. The largest wire you can use is probably 18 gauge.

DIY Audio Parts | High End Audio | Moon Audio

After some more testing, I now believe that my favorite set up with what I have on hand for the HE6SEv2 is the G111 being fed from the Valhalla 2 as a preamp. Very smooth and clear. I find the Jot 2 just a bit over-sharpened, which I don’t think matches well with Hifiman stuff.

Actually, it might be just straight out of the Valhalla.

So for the people with a burson soloist. How is the single ended output compered to xlr? Does single ended get it loud enough?

Just been looking at all the pretty things Burson makes and now wondering if a Timekeeper 3i would work with a HE6. Not sure but the SE is rated for 2W at 16 - 32 ohm (Supposedly close to that on the Soloist) and there is also the speaker taps but im not very savvy in that area.

Would love to hear your thoughts

I jumped around with these today on my amps. My system is now wired as:

1. BF2 to XLR switcher to Violectric V220, Monoprice LP and iFi Pro iCAN.

2. BF2 to Schiit Loki to RCA switcher to Violectric V220, Monoprice LP and iFi Pro iCAN. EQ usually causes a raising of the volume.

On the XLR front, the Pro iCAN (using X-bass and 3D) is awesome! A wide stage, great separation, great mids and great bass. Worked very well with rock, blues and horn jazz. I couldn’t ask for more, especially at this price.

The LP is Very strong with these headphones (4.21W). I think it is missing only the X-bass and 3D, obviously. I love the sound of this amp as it is lush and smooth. Just missing the extra effects (which are fixed later). If the iFi is a 10, this is a 8.5-9.

Last is the Vio V220. It struggles with these. The sound is thin with high gain and volume at 1:00-2:00. It needs more punch and power to compete. That comes later.

I would recommend the top two amps with these headphones for a lot of fun.

Now, using the SE inputs. This surprised me.

With the iFi, it offered a different sound and is obviously more flexible with the EQ option. The big upside would be if you needed to pull the mids forward, add some bump or turn down the treble. Didn’t do a lot for me.

One oddity about the LP is that the inputs, XLR and RCA, are equal, power wise due to its wiring. However going via RCA brings the boom and the extra bump from the Loki. This amp comes Very close to the iFi with this addition. Very full sound, nice and bassy with Lots of power. FUN!

Lastly, the Violectric V220. This amp LOVES the Loki. It gives more boom, more impact and more volume. This combo works. It is still number 3 in this group, but it works well. I love the fact that this amp can fill out some of my headphones (Grado, etc.) nicely. But it is really not meant for HUNGRY headphones. Workable with the Loki and awesome with regular headphones.

End result with the HE6se V2’s is:

1. iFi Pro iCAN = Awesome!
  2. Monoprice LP = Just down a step.
  3. Violectric = Not meant for these kinds of 'phones. Of course V280 and V281 are probably quite different from mine.
4 Likes

just plugged into the single ended output realizing i’ve never once used it. does fine in high gain.

more listening is bringing out a slight loss in resolution and maybe channel separation as well. might be a result of power loss but i’m not 100% sure. it’s definitely not quite the same.

1 Like

Thanks, @Pokrog!

I find the Timekeeper very interesting. Also according to Sandu the Susvaras worked really well on the speaker tabs, so surely that translates over to the he6 I reckon. Only thing is those speaker cables thingies are kinda expensive.

Halby Cables on etsy can whip you up an adapter for bananas plugs so you can plug into the speaker taps using a 4 pin xlr or even a 4.4 pentaconn.

I think I paid $55 for this. Not sure if that price is still the same. Custom colors aplenty but I got black

2 Likes

Do you know how much something like that would run you?

Edited previous comment

Okay wow! I’ll keep this in mind.

Thanks a bunch Pokrog!

1 Like

Sure thing! If you wind up getting a timekeeper let me know how it sounds!

They quoted me $85 for a 10’ cable.

I just got the female xlr piece and had it made short so you can plug your regular xlr headphone cable into it. i think mine was an overall length of 18 inches.

Hey there, if you do decide to go for them, I’d like to help you save money.

Recently purchased one from Adorama at$649.00 (brand new, not open box) and used it for a review and packed em back up. If I can help you save some bucks on a brand new item, why not!

Currently listed on Head-Fi - sorry all for the spam just sharing and caring :slight_smile:

Welcome to HiFi Guides. You can also list them over on our buy/sell thread. You may find other interested buyers there.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

Well, these are growing on me. Even on the G111, I’m starting to understand the appeal. The have such a rich timbre to them. They may just be a bit forceful for me. I’ve got a Singxer coming from a member, I’ll be interested to see what that pairing is like.

2 Likes

curious what you mean by forceful? impactful bass?

They really do have a lot of slam and dynamics. I would call them intense like my Elex’s. Everything seems bigger, brighter, louder. It is funny that I am comparing these to the Monoprice M1570’s as they are complete opposites.
I can definitely see the appeal in these and they are another reason that I love mid-fi.

The music of course also plays a big part. Just on one page of a playlist:

1. Florence and the Machine - High as Hope. Soft voice and everything is super clear and super low key.

2. Shinedown - ATTENTION ATTENTION. Everything is turned up to 11 and sounds great, except there is fair bit of distortion. Just the Shinedown sound on most of this album.

3. Dave Matthews Band - Come Tomorrow. The voice and all the instruments are crystal clear. Bassy when called upon and the mids are near perfect.

These are an awesome deal at $599.00. I think these may join my holy trinity (Grado GH2’s, Elex’s and Cascades).

The M1570’s seem SO weak in comparison, but that’s not fair as they are two very different kinds of sound.

1 Like