IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Wait so you were running them unbalanced? Make sure to use them balanced if you are using the holo amp

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m not an ā€œiemā€ guy so Iā€™m not setup with tips and adapters so a bit unprepared but Iā€™ll get my ish together :wink:

Fir M2, M3, M4, M5 kit coming to be soon as well as the MMR Thummimā€¦

I notice a significant difference on the Holo Spring KTE dac outputs between xlr and rca but TBH for my headphones but I donā€™t notice a huge difference on the Mammoth KTE output between single ended xlr.

1 Like

After doing a bit more thinking on this what is your opinion on the sweet spot for pricing on IEMs?

On headphones at least used you can get incredible options in the $700 - $1,000 price range. Would IEMS have a sweet spot in the $200 - $400 range or am I a bit off on this?

I think IEMs have a similar range. I personally think the sweet spot for IEMs is about $700 to 1300 used, but like headphones, you will need a good source to allow for it to scale as well.
With that being said, I think IEMs cost less to reach the ceiling, although that ceiling may not be as high, yet.

3 Likes

IMO, the best spot is around 300 usd. This is based on my quite massive collection/experience of iems (76).

2 Likes

Tough call tbhā€¦bang for buck then something along the lines of the 03ā€™sā€¦ spending more for overall refinement then as @Rikudou_Goku says circa $300 is the ā€˜sensibleā€™ sweet spot where things get more refinedā€¦ moving on @Veritas circa $700 is where Iā€™d say the sweet spot is, you can get some awesome Tri-Bred sets that can be truly endgame.

6 Likes

Well then, itā€™s looking like Iā€™ll be selling my FiiO FD5 soon. They really hurt my ears (not the sound, the shell) :cry:. Anyone tried the Aune Jasper? Theyā€™re on sale locally from ā‚¬299 for ā‚¬219.

What tips are you using? I noticed that with some, they do stab my ears. But no problems with the elecom ehp-cap20.

I have tried the stock tips in M, the balanced tips in M, the Sony ep-ex10a in M and L, the cp100 in M, the foams, the Final E in M, ML and L, the Sedna Earfit in ML, the Xelastec in M and I even attempted toe pierce my eardrums with the triple flanges in both sizes. I have the spiral dot and cp145 on the way but I canā€™t image those will be the solution tbh.
After a while my ears start to hurt, and then I put in the FH3 or BL-03 and it feels so much better. I usually wear my earphones the entire day since Iā€™m either writing code or in a zoom call, so comfort is pretty important.
Itā€™s not a stabbing, the pain is more on the outside of the ear I think. I guess itā€™s the combination of the size and weight.

oh, thats a shame then.

If you like the FD5 sound, you might have better luck with the acoustune HS1300.

Graphs basically identical to the FD5.

1 Like

To be perfectly honest, Iā€™m not that big a fan of the fd5ā€™s signature. It feels to ā€œVā€ for me and a bit to much upper bass I think? I guess part of the reason Iā€™m thinking of selling is because I donā€™t think the sound is worth the discomfort lol. I feel the thing I would miss most is the cable, maybe Iā€™ll try to find someone willing to get a discount if I swap it for the fh3 stock cable and a balanced 2.5mm cable I have lying around :stuck_out_tongue:.

2 Likes

Perfectly fine, guessing you might be using them at a higher volume than I do. Because they are U-shaped for me.

Guess the HS1300 might not be a good choice either then.

I actually had the same problem. It took my ears a while to adjust to the shape, but theyā€™re perfectly comfortable now.

Hereā€™s one:

This one, has been a new great experience for me listening with these in my ear all the time, but it didnā€™t came with some issues that requires a lot of fixing, therefore it took a while for me to love these.

I have to break it in, replace the tips with the Final Audio E Types, and the cable with a Yinyoo cable! and Man they are heaven in my ears and they are like the Starfields and BLON-BL03s combined into one and this formed. (For me it is, but maybe not for you.) Definitely S Tier in my own list along with those 2 I mentioned.

Hi everyone. I have my eyes on the LZ A7. I am a bit worried about the fit, from what I hear they are pretty small and light, which is good. However Iā€™m a bit afraid about not seeing any vents on there. Anyone noticed any driver flex, suction or vacuum issues?
Iā€™m thinking of ordering them from hifigo to see whether their claims of paying customs and taxes for you are true.

Vents are here:

1 Like

Omg Iā€™m blindā€¦ I was looking at the inside, th bottom, the sides and the top. I looked everywhere and on a lot of images and it never occured to me that those were vents lol. Thanks!

1 Like

These are superb ! LZ A7 are musical yet highly technical IEMs.

5 Likes

What configuration is your favourite?