IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Sorry a bit behind on this thread. Is this to graph a cable of some sort? Is it with a particular IEM? Either way it would be my pleasure to graph it. I’ll pay for return shipping.

3 Likes

I’ll definitely shoot you over some details on the PMs brother :handshake:

2 Likes

Sharing some notes on the Juzear 41t:

What’s notable about the first 5 selections or so is they were just what came on shuffle, but that didn’t stop each track having at least one noteworthy replay factor with the 41t.

Arctic Monkeys - Star Treatment

• Feels like there’s imbalance or that I didn’t put the right side in correctly at the start… because this set is uncannily true to panning/mixing, things fill in and move around, but it can catch you off guard at first if a song starts with mix more to one side.

• The bass notes have the same effect as a drummer rolling around the kit and the sounds going around the headstage.

• Vocals about as forward as I like, reminds me of Moonlight for that.

• Happy with the mid/sub bass treatment. What I like about the Serial is I don’t feel there’s a distinction between a rubbery thump midbass section and a foggy underlying sub-bass platform, bass is all one coherent entity. The same way with the 41t, I don’t find myself picking apart sub and midbass, which I think is a plus for just enjoying music and the tech disappearing in between.

Green Day - Walking Alone

• The punch and physicality of those first few seconds!

• Male vocals (less amongst buch more audio interference than the last track) not pushed back or washed out at all.

• The warmth doesn’t extend so far as to make rhythm guitars chubby, but is very welcome for what it covers.

• Harmonica is not piercing or awkward in the mix, and has good timbre.

• Even with a track as simple as this, a sense of separation is as much as each instrument or layer has no trouble communicating, nothing’s talking over anything.

Led Zeppelin - Brony -Yr

• So much panning and so many imaging cues.

• Timbre is true. Bright guitar notes stand out as they ought, but like an EST don’t seem to cause any trouble for being piercing or shrill.

• Lots of detail but not from a crass treble spike.

• So much panning I almost wonder if the set is making it up (probably the mastering/recording choices). I can’t feel like I’m in a room or on a stage with Jimmy because although the reverb and sounds are very realistic, according to placement he’s swinging around me in a reciprocating arc, no sitting on a stool.

Caroline Polachek - Hey Big Eyes

• A song I’m very familiar with, so it came as a surprise to hear it any differently to what I’m used to: The vocal layer that comes in at 0:32 or 0:33 flutters between the L and R way more than I’ve ever heard, and sounds more distinct because of it. It makes it much more high contrast, and reminds me of when the Beatles do their rapid flitting in the Yellow Submarine movie when they discover/enter the Sea of Green.

• Vocals presented beautifully. Centered for the solo verses, starts to spread apart for the chorally mixed parts of verses

• At 1:13 when the bass comes in adds height to what was already very wide, and slight increase in intensity from that first hit before it tails off is easily heard.

Pond - The Weather

• One of my favorite song discoveries of the last two years.

• At 1:40 the same thing where I think everything is as wide and surrounding as it’s likely to get, but an added layer, give its own slot/place makes things bigger when it is introduced.

• This is a song where one of the exact things I love is how the different layers glide together (example would be 1:40 again), both hitting and missing, and on these there’s no trouble hearing the bass notes, broader synth notes, drums, vocals, etc each doing their own thing no matter if they converge.

• On some sets the vocals / odd synths can be sharp, on these they’re forward but not sharp.

Roots Manuva - Too Cold

• Something bassier at last. I love it for the reasons mentioned earlier. Bass has a hard hitting edge but a slightly slow decay, but also bass is very controlled where needed. All Serial plusses. There are times the bass feels the least bit blunt though.

Rammstein - Amour

• No issues with male baritone

• Love how the drum hits sound. Almost… smooth?

• Great imaging chops as various elements make their appearance

• 1:00 - mids all smooth and lovely, with the perfect warm underlying reverb.

• Good layering as things begin to, well, layer.

Kavinsky - Night Call

• Even in the intro, I know I’ve never heard the wolf call like that. A cinematic start.

• You need upper mids for the 80s style synths to have edge and emotion, but especially on some of Kavinsky’s tracks these can come off as very harsh and overbearing on the wrong set. Right amount of energy on 41t.

• Good clout to the kick.

• Distorted vocals detailed but not harsh.

• When “ordinary” vocals come up there’s no rasp, sound great.

• General comment: Shout out that I really love these for vocals. Meandered onto a Youtube video of London Grammar covering night call, I know it wouldn’t have moved me as much on other sets.

Emmylou Harris - Goin’ Back to Harlan

• Exactly how I like the drums on this to sound. The full texture, bit of clout / wind on the eardrum from them.

• Female vocals again. Seems a 5k peak can be fine if it’s not the highest peak or only peak.

• So much right about this track. Sorry I’m definitely starting to run out of time.

• The bass/warmth to this track on this set really seems perfect, can’t imagine the amount replayed coming across any better, and this album is one of my other favorite discoveries from the last few years.

• This track becomes overhelming(ly good) the further I get into it.

Blur - On the Way to the Club

• Drums have punch

• Bass notes have presence

• The male vocals do have an edge on this one, but I think I turned it up higher than before for the sake of drum and bass sounds. Slight volume decrease fixes things.

Buck 65 - Whispers of the Waves (ft. Gord Downie)

• I’m sure my Canucks will appreciate the appearance of the Tragically Hip’s vocalist.

• I screenshotted 2:42, let me check that out… well, not sure. Good song with a good replay?

• Where different things come in, the A+ layering is there

Saint Saviour - A Word

• I find her recordings give occassionally consonant sibilance even with sets that don’t normally raise that issue for me. But this is very smooth, airy and sweet.

• Things expand at :33 when the bass comes in, another example of that.

Jeff Buckey - Hallelujah

• I’m not going to quantify this one, I just almost cried, that’s all.

Radiohead - House of Cards

• Man the sub bass in this one really completes it, with vocals as smooth and hypnotic as prior examples.

• Really feel the echo/reverb physically each time.

TLDR: Don’t spend money on an EST hybrid like the Moonlight when you can get the same vocal smoothness, detailed but non fatiguing treble, sub/mid bass, separation and imaging from the Juzear 41t. I approve.

16 Likes

Sharing in case people missed it:

3 Likes

Is there any sale going on with it? Or ninja coupon

2 Likes

As a matter of fact, I just saw this on FB:

Also they have a collab coming that at the least visually looks sick; Juzear Flame - not entirely sure if it’s a retuned 41T or a different model though

https://twitter.com/Angelears_audio/status/1654075396433022976?fbclid=IwAR3L0Kn2Sx8Xk7jVV2b61YB9v5MAZiE2UDE_NcEzf7wewKg4zxgzaxiXq1E

8 Likes

Man, see through shells make any tech look awesome. I wish more companies would go for that kind of look.

4 Likes

Wow it looks like yourself, @GooberBM and I experienced this. Seems like you really enjoyed the set.

This effect was truly amazing to hear in such a well priced IEM. For me it was a delight. It was so well done though that I could see it be distracting and unfavorable for individuals preferences or for particular songs.

You seemed to have a similar experience with treble. I liked that it gave a little bite, forwardness and some aggression to guitars compared to my usual mellower preference. Yet it was able to do it without being sharp or to overly emphasized in particular frequency that was to apparent and made them feel unnatural.

2 Likes

My brother had one of these

And we had one of these too

I would have loved to have one of these:

I don’t always like translucency, but there’s something cool about seeing the internal, definitely feeds curiosity about how things work and how well things are packed into space.

4 Likes

I like how when it’s done it is screaming ‘this is TECH!’ with sunglasses on :sunglasses:

So just got and measured the KZ HBB PR2 and yeah they measure like everyone else’s. Pretty insane QC by KZ!

Using a single EQ filter: HSQ, 1500 Hz, -2.5 dB, 0.5 Q

Has them sound like the Tangzu Heyday but with more sub-bass at a fraction of the cost :upside_down_face: otherwise without EQ the treble is too spicy for me :hot_face:

4 Likes

I am betting the mods for the PR2 will be interesting.
At that price people will be more willing to experiment.

1 Like

The Z300s have arrived at my house today, I’ll see them fairly late tonight for the first time. A lot of choice for what to put in my ears and focus on at the moment!

5 Likes

Story time.

It’s my Day off today. Nice weather. Thought I’d take the ol’ skateboard out after being off it for a while. Well, long story short, I ain’t got it no more :joy: I bust my ass in the middle of the street unfortunately - brushed my self off and got back on as I usually do. Of course my BTR7 died a few minutes before falling so I threw it in my pocket. I skate my sad ass home, empty my pockets out and… my BTR7 is gone. I rush out the door, hop in my car and go back to the spot where I fell hoping to find the FiiO sitting there, unharmed in the middle of the street where I fell. I thought that maybe someone would see it and pick it up thinking it was a phone or something.

To my surprise and relief, it was still there but not unharmed.

Absolutely gutted, I had no expectations that it would still work. Sike!

Not only does it still charge and turn on, but it plays music and all the buttons work like nothing happened.

The BTR7 is a fucking tank. Confirmed, gents :saluting_face:

20 Likes

Dang, I hope that you’re okay (just bruises and a bruised ego)! Shame about the BTR7, but that’s some sturdy stuff!

4 Likes

LOL the ego definitely takes a harder hit :sweat_smile: I’ve fallen a lot worse before so we’re good. Just some scrapes on my hands, elbows and my right hip - but DAMN.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your accident, mate :frowning: Good thing it still plays!
Let’s hope it wasn’t just a last ditch effort to carry out it’s purpose :saluting_face:

3 Likes

It happens, brother. At least now I have a device that I can keep and reflect back on and maybe laugh at the memory :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Dam Dom your unit must be a relative of Nokia :joy: LOL

Fun fact I just ordered a BTR7 this morning haha… so what source are you getting next? :rofl:

2 Likes

LOL I may just email FiiO and let them know that they’re giving Nokia a run for their money :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The BTR7 is such an amazing little device that I’m just going to get another one tbh. I love this thing and for the money, I don’t think another portable source would work better for my specific use case. But now I guess I’ll do some research :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes