JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

Dom probably phrased it better than me.

I think on graph the bass curve looks great but from the various reviews I’ve seen mid bass was brought up many times. I’m not trying to be negative or deny the fact that Estrella is a good IEM since I haven’t heard it. But since I’m shopping around looking at graphs and listening to reviewers, it might lack the mid bass impact that I AM looking for.

3 Likes

It’s not that you’d add more midbass but you need to pull the subs back a touch to get more midbass emphasis…which is accounted for with Estrella

3 Likes

Texture wise sub-bass would be more prominent and you hear it better over the mid-bass ya, but it’s no slouch texture wise in the mid-bass, just not as good as the sub, but given that the sub is the main focus that’s the trade-off you’ll be getting

If impact is what you’re looking for then it’s more than enough haha

3 Likes

btw Estrella now up on amazon :sunglasses:
https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-ZiiGaat-Jays-Audio-Audiophile/dp/B0DD42M3NX

4 Likes

Thanks, that’s much better phrased! :pray:t2:
It’s not lacking in amount but could be more pronounced and textured

4 Likes

Some impressions (without mod) of Estrella:

Pros:

:gem: Good tuning throughout FR
:gem: Good sub-bass over mid-bass
:gem: Mid-bass is not cut
:gem: Separation of bass from mids
:gem: Lower mids are neither thin nor too thick. They have very good quality.
:gem: Upper mids have a unique tuning and interact well with the rest of the FR
:gem: Very good dynamic images
:gem: Treble extension is made with taste. The cymbals sound realistic
:gem: Textured drums section
:gem: Good male and very good female vocals
:gem: Textured and well layered sound, well above the price point
:gem: A sense of space and 3D stage that rivals some EST IEMs
:gem: Very well resolution :zap:
:gem: Easy to drive
:gem: Very comfortable and with a beautiful shell
:gem: Thin and flexible cable and good sound matching. Does not need immediate replacement.
:gem: Good quality of macro and micro dynamics
:gem: Thoughtful selection of drivers. DD is fast and capable. This is an IEM that shows that the quantity of drivers is not always related to better sound quality

Cons:

:thinking: The bass could be a bit faster and more textured
:thinking: Uppermids may be more in quantity for some
:thinking: A bit more soundstage wide
:thinking: It is not completely universal. Some genres need a slight FR adjustment
:thinking: The cable has no switches
:thinking: There are eartips with a better match

Soundstage A+
Timbre A
Fun factor A++
Tuning A+
Tech A+
Overall A++

:balance_scale::balance_scale::balance_scale:

vs Thieaudio hype2

Soundstage A-
Timbre A—
Tuning A—
Fun factor A
Tech A-
Overall A-

vs KL

Soundstage A
Timbre A-
Turning A/A-
Fun factor A
Tech A
Overall A

vs Glacier

Soundstage S
Timbre S
Tuning S-/S
Fun factor S/S-
Tech S/S-
Overall S

Estrella like the music and music like Estrella! Enjoy :smiling_face:.

21 Likes

And Estrella vs Hype4or Oracle 3?

Woah S for Glacier eh? I gotta try those some day… thanks for sharing :heart_hands: and glad you’re liking them!

5 Likes

Estrella review done.

8.7/10 - ratings/scores are tabulated based on price bracket.

Great release, man.

Slapped my favorite cable on them, too.

Mood lighting version, trying to incorporate some lighting because @Leonarfd is freaking amazing with his photography

12 Likes

Thank you for the in-depth and honest review man. I’ll include better accessories next time and round up the price to $500 :joy: (if there is one)

Happy listening :notes:

6 Likes

For sure. The accessories part was more of a joke to set up me doing the All-star meme and talking about the glasses. We got that they had to cut costs, it’s all good. :joy:

Someone on Head-Fi just said that Estrella pronunciation would be similar to Paella so we need a Simgot x JaysAudio Paella collab next.

3 Likes

Wow, was planning on getting a mega5est, but guess not anymore :confused:

1 Like

Jokes on you my next collab will come with no cable or case, just the iem in a plastic bag, and check this out, the best part is you’ll have to assemble it yourself so we can avoid all QC allegations

Brain Big Brain GIF - Brain Big Brain Meme - Discover & Share GIFs

9 Likes

4 Likes

Which cable is this, looks great with estrella :fire:

1 Like

These are the Xinhs S05 cable

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqMM0DO

Probably my favorite cable!

1 Like

@pylaczynski brought me to this track, thanks for that :sunglasses::+1:t2:

2 Likes

KIWI EARS KE4 REVIEW:

SOUND:

The Kiwi Ear KE4s are one of my new favourites under $200. At mid volume they are very smooth, relaxing, and warm-leaning with a full low-end. Perfect for chilling and a non-fatiguing listen as the vocals are laid back with a good sense of space and noteweight…But the real magic happens once you crank these up because the KE4 also scales very well, not quite Explorer levels, but just as immersive, and it’s how I would recommend them to be listened to.

SCALING & VOCALS

Once you crank these up the KE4s become more all-rounded, and less laid back, almost like it woke up from a slumber. The vocals that were pushed back at mid-volume now moves closer without being in your face as you hear the details better in both the uppermids and treble. The bass also gets thumpier, it becomes more prominent, hitting deeper, and the KE4 goes from warm-leaning to a more bassy sound that also has a natural vocal and treble presentation that isn’t buried.

Normally with scaling everything becomes more forward because of the increased volume, and usually that’s where the issue happens with some vocal fatigue or treble sharpness. But because there’s a scoop at 1K, this pushes the vocals back and gives the KE4 a sense of distance making the vocals feel not shoved in your face, but also still feel extended enough because of the 3K boost that’s also less than harman which means it’s not shouty as well.

So what you end up getting are vocals that are non-fatiguing, but still extended and open at high volume, which is difficult to balance, so bravo to kiwiears on that. However, the vocals still aren’t perfect, if you’re looking for more power and intensity and that deep vibrato, then that’s where the KE4 falls short on. Even though the vocals are extended with good note-weight, they can still feel a bit weak since in order to strike that balance at both mid and higher volumes, some trade-off needs to happen, and in this case, it’s in the power department.

2DD ISOBARIC BASS

But the good news is that the dual isobaric dynamic drivers gives the KE4 one of the best low-end under $200 when it comes to the texture, impact, and noteweight. It makes the overall tuning sound full and grounded and doesn’t feel overly airy or light, and kickdrums especially hits very deep followed by a nice rumble in the sub.

TREBLE & TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE

The separation and imaging is good, and it’s what is expected at its price, but when you compare it to the planars the KE4 isn’t quite as fast in its transients and sharpness. In-terms of pure detail retrieval and technical performance both the Supermix4 and Canta would be the better value in that sense, as well as similar all-rounders like the Nova, Chopin, and Quintet.

Although the trade off is in-return for a slower pacing you do get better slam, heavier noteweight, and more natural timbre, and personally I would take the KE4’s bass over something like the 2024 S12 that is evidently quicker, but not as enjoyable musically. Treble wise the KE4 is pretty balanced overall, it’s not exciting or jumps out, but it’s also not dark or hidden in the background. There’s no timbre issues when it comes to the BAs, it’s not overly airy or sizzly, not sharp, nor super smooth, it’s kind of just solid treble, it does its job.

vs KIWI EARS Quintet, Orchestra Lite, Canta

Now, versus the Quintet and Orchestra Lite both of those will have better detail, imaging, and separation, and just overall more technical than the KE4. The Orchestra Lite is going to be the cleanest and most neutral of the bunch, it’s vanilla and balanced, very inoffensive if that’s your vibe, the low-end isn’t nearly as good as the KE4, but they are more complete vocal wise because it’s not scooped in the 1K.

Even the cheaper Canta is more detailed when it comes to the treble, and also cleaner in the separation, but both the Canta and the Quintet have a little bit of that planar timbre to them on top of their extra treble, which can get a bit much, and not as natural timbre wise. And in-terms of the low-end texture, slam, noteweight, and overall musicality the KE4 to me is much more enjoyable, and with scaling they’re just so much more immersive.But I will say if you listen at mid-volume then those other 3 kiwis are going to better and more well-rounded.

vs SUPERMIX4

Now, versus the Supermix4 these 2 are total opposites, the SM4 is cleaner, quicker in it’s low-end with more forward vocals, and more lively and airy in the overall presentation. You’ll get more micro-details and resolution with the SM4, and they are a much better mid-volume set since the vocals and uppermids can be a bit too pushed back on the KE4. However, if you want a fuller sound and are open to cranking up that volume knob, then the KE4 is much more immersive with a heavier and better textured low-end, and just more unique and special.

vs CKLVX/PULA

But speaking of a “special” tuning, we gotta talk about the CKLVX and Pula. Compared to those 2, the KE4 is actually fairly similar when it comes to the vocals with all 3 lacking a bit of power and final extension, but still relatively well extended and aren’t shouty with the main difference being that the KE4 isn’t as airy and light as the CKLVX/PULA.

The KE4 doesn’t have that dreamy feeling of the CKLVX/PULA, but instead it’s more grounded with more depth, and it’s more natural in that sense. Basically, if you found the CKLVX/PULA to be too airy and sometimes sharp in the treble, then the KE4 fixes that with a smoother presentation with better textured bass, and a thumpier, deeper slam. Tech wise all 3 are around the same, meaning they’re decent, but nothing crazy like the Supermix4 or Quintet, and tuning wise they’re equally as good to me and switches depending on my mood.

vs AFUL EXPLORER

Then lastly some have been asking for an Explorer at mid volume, and the KE4s are pretty much that. Now, the Explorer will still be more intimate in its presentation, the vocals are closer, the stage feels more forward, and they scale better. Whereas the KE4 has more air which makes the stage feel more open, but because the 1K region is also scooped this pushes the vocals back, and creates a sense of distance on top of the air boost, which gives you an open sense of space that the Explorer doesn’t have.

Low-end wise the KE4s are an improvement overall from the texture to how deep the bass goes, and the overall impact, as well as having more overall detail, so basically what I’m trying to say is, if you like cranking things up, then the KE4s are a solid upgrade over the Explorers, less neutral, more open and bassy, but still very immersive.

Kiwi Ears KE4 Final Rankings (HIGH-VOLUME):

Tonality: A+/S- (8/10)
Tech: A- (6/10)
Overall: A (7/10)

Thanks for reading!

9 Likes

Not the most exciting shells, but not ugly. Super interesting review…

3 Likes

Ye
Graph for reference:

5 Likes