JAY's audio memes (and reviews/ranking too I guess)

First impressions of the Performer 8 after a few hours:

1. Very smooth, balanced, and airy
  2. Best treble under $500 probably (need to hear studio 4)
  3. Mid centric with vocals forward leaning
  4. Vocals are forward and airy but not fatiguing, I think this is because they decided to boost the 600-800hz area instead of the regular harman pinna gain around 2-3K, so it’s forward but doesn’t kill you
  5. However, this makes vocals less natural imo compared to the Orchestra Lite since I’m getting the body and air, but lacking the openness
  6. But it’s more exciting and engaging than the Orch Lite for sure with better treble extension/detail
  7. Separation could be better due to the 800hz boost covering other elements, for example vs the Blessing 3 which is more resolving, but I’d take the P8 over the B3 anyday due to the 6K and elevated treble on the B3
  8. BA bass

Overall, great set. If priced around $350 then it’s a winner, but if the B3 Dusk tames the 6K then it might be better, but rn P8>B3

11 Likes

Hey guys, P8 Review ere :slight_smile:

7 Likes

tumblr_mk16mwn7Bc1s19nbmo1_250
:grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Hi, looking at earbuds out of the choice between the fiio ff3 and Sambat ST-20pro or M4 which would be my first best option. I like bass so wanting decent for buds bass

I think the only person who I know for sure has tried the FF3 is @JAnonymous5150. He’s tried a bunch of earbuds so maybe he can share his two cents. @nymz has as well but he’s pretty busy these days being a new parent :baby:

Personally, haven’t tried the sets you mentioned. I’d point you towards @Rikudou_Goku if you are open to DIY sets.

4 Likes

FF3 is great. Great stage as well.

4 Likes

I have both the FF3 & M4

If your looking for bass FF3 is the pick from those. They are a unique bud and highly recommended for the price. You really can’t go wrong picking them up.

The Smabat in general I wouldn’t recommend - the ability to swap out drivers is great, as is the ability to use those same drivers in their Bluetooth unit. BUT and it’s a big but - Smabat are not the best tuners - and some drivers can make it feel like you have an ice pick to the brain.

Alternatively - Rikubuds deliver the largest bass I have heard from an earbud and I’m sure @Rikudou_Goku could guide you to an appropriate bud for your preferred signature

9 Likes

At first I thought the previous format was better, mainly because your voice is better recorded when you’re not on picture. But as time went by, I found this video more interesting, better rythmed and with an overall better clarity (your body being always there, my brain doesn’t have to work as hard as when the image changes completely).

So congrats for your new style, it rocks!!

I’d just say, as a way of improving, that I would like your voice recording a bit cleaner/more consistent, and be careful with the sound effect volume (They’re sometimes too loud and go in the way of your voice).

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback man, glad you liked it :pray: Will definitely be improving the audio and other stuff for the next one :slight_smile:

Facts

12 Likes

@VIVIDICI_111 You handled the review and criticism of the Diva very professionally. Giving them the benefit of doubt that maybe the previous user caused the issue and just your overall points towards them. I’m not sure I could have handled it as well as you did. Bravo to you for being so polite.

2 Likes

Oh stop it you, you’re making me blush
IMG_2765

Was trying to be as fair as possible, so, I’m glad people took it well!

3 Likes

Wow, so I missed @ttorbic summoning me while I was on the road so I hope I’m not too late. I have found the ST20Pro and M4s (I’ve owned all the drivers) to be mediocre at best and terrible at worst. The FF3s on the other hand are one of my favorite pairs of buds. They have an awesome huge presentation with a wonderfully articukate and authoritative low end. The mids are detailed and tonally/timbrally accurate. The treble is a bit reserved for some folks, but I find it to suit the overall tuning and presentation quite well, making the FF3s a pair of buds that you can listen to for extended periods without fatigue. I also own the FF5s and while they are a solid pair if buds, I think the FF3s are where the special sauce is at in Fiio’s lineup. If it were up to me the FF3s would be a fixture in every earbud aficionado’s rotation. All of that and they are actually a damn good value for the money.

I hope that was helpful and that I got back here in time. Feel free to ask me anything else you might want to know. Also, the earbud round up thread over on head-fi is a great place to find info like this. It’s definitely one if the few threads that keeps me going to head-fi. It might help if I mention that the FF3s are very widely praised on that thread by me and many others, the M4s have mostly meh or negative reactions except for one that I can think of, and the ST20 Pros have gotten mixed reactions to say the least.

10 Likes

I know this is a bit of a late reaction, but this meme just killed me. I actually lol’d! :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Welcome back man - you’re gonna love the new video format :joy:

1 Like

Review out for Dolce, EW100P, Soundpeats Capsule 3 Pro

Red review also done double upload baby:

7 Likes

Man, you are a breath of a fresh air in audio reviews. I watched your first one back in the days but could not follow with the memes used, so skipped the rest, but yesterday a review of Diva popped up in my feed and I gave it another shot. Now I think your format is perfect - I even bing watched your every thing since yesterday.

Your flow is also great, references to the volume used is ideal as it is rarely mentioned and you having no bullshit approach towards justification in prices between expensive and cheap IEM is up for my preference as well. Wish you would refer specific tracks a bit more, but that is a small complaint :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow that praise is too much man!! Thank you :slight_smile: I truly mean it. I’m glad you’re enjoying the videos though, and thanks for giving them another shot :metal: I’m not that good at explaining the tracks, but I’ll give it another try in the next vid for ya. Any specific genres you’d like me to test?

1 Like

I think it is more important to have something that YOU are familiar with first and foremost. (and use a specific time stamp in the track as well is even better, with a direct link to it in the description.)

Then secondary priority is to have a bassy track, trebly track, vocal track and a balanced one for example.

So like maybe one of each of: hip-hop, EDM, Pop, Classical, WEEB tracks

2 Likes

Ya I have some stuff I test with, but it’s a good idea to be more specific, or just mention it more I guess. My playlist: