šŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

I did get the 75 to test fit into the 30i cup fine. I was just thinking the possibilities out further. If the 75 was out of its assembly, what other possibilities are there? I had forgotten about that post. Thanks for the reminder.

Do you think there are any advantages to the 75 driver that the 30iā€™s canā€™t be modded to sound like?

I guess there is only one way to find out.

I donā€™t have the technical skills to really say if they can or canā€™t be but the 75ā€™s does have a different type of titanium coating on them for tuning purposes so it does have one small advantage over the 30i and porta pro drivers. I donā€™t know how easily the drivers are removable because I had a bunk pair that came from Koss and when I tried pulling out the driver it was glued into the housing and ended ripping the diaphragm. If you come up with something new it would be great if you could share it in this thread. I love tinkering with stuff thatā€™s on a budget.

I dont really listen to music on these headphones. i use them for watching youtube and such. well I was just watching the latest video of 8-bit guy and the end music sounded so good i couldnt believe it. Great bass and soundstage. these little headphones are really amazing

3 Likes

I finally got my Yaxi pads and got them put on my 30iā€™s.

After running through my test tracks I am really liking the sound. I am finding some more low end presence, along with some overall increased punch/dynamics (probably because of the ā€œcupā€ the pad creates between the pad and ear).

The beauty of it I find is that with the increased low end, I am not finding any real loss of high end. I am still getting really nice sparkly cymbals, clear acoustic guitars, etc.

Mod 1 complete. I have ideas for diffusers I might 3D print, as well as something I am working on in CAD right now. I am hoping to get the latter printed soon to try it out.

2 Likes

My pair with knock-off grado pads from Amazon (I donā€™t recommend), wrapping around the stock pads. My headband broke and I ended up 3D printing a poor clamping solution. Ordered a second pair from Drop and have Yaxi pads (originally on these) ready to go. Super dumb, super awesome.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve taken the liberty of using the new DIY section to create a new thread on the updated detachable wire mod. It uses 2-pin instead of MMCX for reasons that I will explain in that thread. Also a better way of affixing the connector so that it can bear the stress of having the wires attached and detached constantly.

9 Likes

I have a 3D printer but no CAD skills. Tell us how it goes!

Was really interested in trying these pad change, sorry for the unfortunate snapping, this happened to my pair as well on stock but I did a superglue repair making the adjusters unusable, now I think I really canā€™t try this pad swap.

BTW have you tried them without the stock pads? Wondering if theyā€™d be great for gaming on those huge pads, improving soundstage and imaging or did you mean you donā€™t recommend the pad swap mod at all?

The problem with the pads is they just arenā€™t comfortable. They are more itchy and dense compared to the Yaxi pads and thereā€™s a bit of distortion. Feels like a bit of an echo chamber. Iā€™ll remove the stock pads and try them again with just the big pads - I should note that there may be better big pads floating about. These are the pads I got, but I donā€™t recommend them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VXQNR9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Re snapping - I had tried superglue as well but due to where my snap happened there was a ton of flex strain on the area and glue would slowly lose structural strength.

I finally got these in the other day from Drop - I ordered a pair for my brother and decided to get a pair for myself also to see what the hype is all about.

lol, itā€™s all true - these things are crazy good for the value. I plugged them into my SDAC -> JDS Labs Atom and Iā€™ve been watching videos, listening to musicā€¦ wow. Damn. Really, for $30 (I actually got them for $20 on Drop) these are ridiculous.

Only thing Iā€™m not really digging are the stock pads. They feel scratchy. Itā€™s nice that they donā€™t move very much on my head but when I take them on/off or adjust them I donā€™t like how they feel on my ears. Looking to invest in some Yaxi Padsā€¦

1 Like

I think that scratchy feeling will go away with use. Sounds like it will be going away fast for youā€¦lol.

Definitely the best headphones for the price, they easily sound as good or better than headphones that cost 2 or 3 times the price.

2 Likes

Okay, Iā€™m back again. Been listening for a solid 6-7 hours now.

These things are straight up God-tier. I love the sound signature. Yaxi Pads are ordered now and these just might be my mains for a while! How is it possible that Iā€™d rather listen to these right now than my DT770 or 6XXā€™s?! They have such a nice, punchy bass/low end.

1 Like

They sound good but I wish they had the detail of Blon B20 or LCD X.

These things do cost $30. Letā€™s keep it in perspective. Kossā€™ miracles have their limits. :laughing:

5 Likes

I finally got around to installing the Yaxi pads on the KPH30I and Porta Pro. I like them visually, I donā€™t know if Iā€™d say the sound is a night and day difference. I think that is a good though, I stand by the KPH30I sounding way better than the $30 price tag would let on. I do think the Yaxi pads have expanded the sound stage a little bit and the comfort ( wasnā€™t a problem before) is also better.

Overall the Yaxi pads just make something good just that little bit better. PLUS- they look cool!

1 Like

Totally agree. Bud in my case comfort also improved as yaxi pads are a bit more fluffy :slight_smile: love the sound for 22 euro super-nice

Got mine today from Drop. Absolutely floored by these. Got two for the price of one with some of Dropā€™s reward credit. Dadā€™s gonna be happy on Fatherā€™s Day.

3 Likes

I think the unintended ring that forms around the kph 30 I perimeter does a lot for comfort and Sou d stock you have the whole pad arou d your ears with yaxi you just have a right giving more space and the added space between the driver and your ears purely due to the pads thickness and air around your ears definitely make it sound noticably wider and overall just better

Yep, that pretty much sums up my logic too.

These definitely look funky! How do they sound like?