đŸ”¶ Koss KPH30i

I removed the stock pads as Zeos mentioned in the video.

For me it was not about comfort, but sound (although the comfort was greatly increased with both). I found the sound with the Yaxi’s was a big step up from stock, and then going to the Grado’s was another big step up from the Yaxi’s.

I am contemplating the detachable cable mod as well as I have some IEM cables that I think would sound really good.

Hm so I bought the wrong size cable for the connectors I’m using. I bought .78mm 2-pin connectors and a cable that is MMCX connector, I’ll need to return it. Also the cable I got has a 4.4mm jack which fits my amp, but now I’m reading that you shouldn’t plug unbalanced headphones into a balanced amp, so I’ll get one that terminates into a standard 3.5mm.

If you’re planning to run one wire to each driver, you’re essentially converting it from single ended to balanced with your mod. The main thing is not shorting the ground by trying to combine the L- and R- signals from the balanced amp into the same pole in a single ended connection to the headphone.

Ah okay, so the mod does have one wire to each driver, so I should be safe in going to 4.4mm. So like a bad thing to do would be like my monoprice retros that have a cable on only one earcup, and terminate in 3.5mm, if I just added a 3.5mm to 4.4mm adapter at the end and plugged it in that would be a no-no?

Depends how the 4.4 adapter is wired internally, but generally that’s correct.

I don’t know if should have posted this here or where it is. It has to do with the KPH30i and the DIY pad swap. Very interesting results by mistake! (Two different sets/sized Grado replacement pads and what a difference between the two).

From the look of it those are the L-Cushions (not looking like a wok with a hole in it is the giveaway), the GS1000 pads are the G-cushion.

To be honest, I don’t think so.

I am a very tinkering person and also experiment with the G-Cushions Grado Pads, the loss of bass quality and the clarity of the details is clearly noticeable, so that this modding makes no sense regarding the sound in my opinion.

A completely different story is the comfort, which is significantly improved.

Everyone’s ears are different.

I have 2 sets of 30i’s, one set has the Yaxi’s, and the other has only the large Grado cushions (I removed the stock).

The bass with the Grados is definitely different from the Yaxi’s, but to my ears there is no loss in quality.

I have found the opposite with detail clarity. The Grados have actually pulled away a slight veil and increased the detail clarity. It is especially noticeable if I do a direct A/B with the Yaxi’s.

Removing the backing foam will open up the mids a little and give a cleaner sound. Not shrill like a Grado. That will compliment Yaxi pads nicely.

I did this with my PX-100 II, and it was an absolute must do tweak. Though, I did put a metal mesh in its place.

1 Like

@brad86 thanks for the suggestion to remove the inner foam. Luckily I have 2 sets of 30i’s and 2 sets of Yaxi pads, so I removed the inner foam on my second Yaxi pair and just finished A/B’ing them.

I definitely hear that the veil in the mid’s is gone, and this new sound is much closer to the Grado pads (based on memory). I still have to A/B with the Grado’s.

While I am hearing slightly less forceful bass, I believe that is because the mid’s have opened up and I find the sound to be more linear. I think the previous bass impact was “fake” in the sense it came from the compromise in the mid’s.

While there is less force in the bass, I find that it is much more natural sounding. I am not saying they are bass light now. There is still plenty of bass and sub-bass when the track calls for it, but now it sounds much more true to the track, rather than it being there because of deficiencies in other frequency regions.

I am really happy with this new Yaxi set minus the inner foam. Next step is to take the original Yaxi set (minus the Yaxi’s) and put the Grado pads on them for an A/B session. After that, I may remove the inner foam and try different tuning tricks with the Grado pads.

1 Like

I have removed the Yaxi pads and inner foam from my original set to be comparable to the new Yaxi set and A/B’d with the Grado pads.

While I enjoyed the difference in the new Yaxi setup, the Grado setup has a bit more overall bass (while still sounding natural), along with a wider soundstage and better separation. I find there is slightly better detail as well.

Given the extra points, these will be my primaries, while the Yaxi set will be my spares.

Very happy with where both sets are currently.

1 Like

Does “inner foam” mean the original kph earpad or something else internal?

@TimpTim44 sorry, I never thought to take a picture.

There is a thinner piece of foam on the inside of the cup on the back side of the driver blocking the slotted vents where the headband connects.

To get at it you remove the ear pad, carefully pry at least two clips and detach/angle the driver assembly from the cup, and you can then see and reach the inner foam to pull it out.

1 Like

@CO_Canuck Thanks. I’ll try that. I have Yaxis on (several) 75’s and did a dime sized cutout on Yaxi pad for Portas. Not gonna mess with my Sundaras tho, :wink:

Well, I am enjoying my set throughout the week since I bought it, but alas it didn’t last long. For my dumbass self accidentally sat on mine and the hinges that holds the drivers snapped, much to my dismay.

As a temporary fix, I pretty much taped the broken part to be a headphone again, it works but the look of my headphones are the ones now that you shouldn’t take outside. I would want this to get replaced or use the Limited Lifetime warranty from these but I am afraid there is no Koss branch in the country I am living in, so I am pretty much out of luck. Hey at least it’s still works but just looks weird now.

Oof that sucks. At least it will save you from the disappointment of the headband randomly snapping there when you’re putting them on 2-3 months down to road. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just got the “SODIAL” G cush replacement pads for my Grado SR60e. On the Grado it’s a monster.

On the KPH30i is great, but better on the Grado
 I mean, for the price (paid 4 EUR for the pads) it made a miracle (at least a huge smile on my face).

Or I could just glue gun it in order to make it stable, since taping it to the brim is more of a temporary fix. I mean I could just get an another pair if I wanted to.

Quick question, how old is the driver?
The overall design of the headphone looks straight out of the 80-90s so I was wondering how old is the driver