šŸ”· Meze 99 Classic/Neo/Noir

Well their only 60$ so i dont think they will compete with Meze 99

Of course not! I would never suspect that from them, but I would suspect Microsoft to cut corners enough to max their profits as much as possible. If that means making a $10-15 headphone and charging $60+ for it just because they have their logo on it.

1 Like

@Antpage2 Replying here to What did you buy today?

I like them so far. Theyā€™re the upgrade for my Superlux HD681Evo with Brainwavz XL pads.

They definitely have more detail and better imaging. The bass is kinda the same The bass is tighter, slappier, mmmmm.
Tried the EQ from this review for a bit last night and it completely changes them, not sure yet if I like it for actual listening but itā€™s crazy how much they change and still sound good: https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2017/04/meze-99-classics.html Edit: This EQ seems to be distorting high freq. with some songs, either I didnā€™t EQ properly or something else is wrong. Fun to test but no more EQ until I get a good reference of how they sound.

Comfort is not as good on the ears since they touch a lot of my ear, but still good, just not car tire levels good like the BW XL. The 99C headband is perfect however. They slide on perfectly and float on the head.

The swivels are very loose on mine, but Meze has a video on how to adjust it, so I guess it doesnā€™t void the warranty if I open them up.

Cables are meh, the ā€œkevlarā€ part is microphonic and janky. I preffer the rubber coating like the upper parts of the wires.

I like them.

Do they actually benefit from better amps? Would something like the Q5S be worth it for them? Have a BTR3 and the stereo receiver headphone out, and an LG G7. Power is clearly not a problem, but maybe a better dac would help.

1 Like

To be fair, the Xbox Headset was available for sale on Amazon in 2014.

Meze 99 Classics at their earliest, is listed on Mezeā€™s website debuting in 2015.

2 Likes

OMG. Meze ripped Microsoft off! :laughing:

1 Like

I find with mine, they are not amp picky really at all. I would only suggest avoiding ā€œoverlyā€ bright amps and dacs, as in my personal experience they can get a little hot on the top end with some tracks. For reference, listen to Sir Mix Alot Posse on Broadway. Thereā€™s great cymbal separation and isolation where not much else is heard but the symbols. On my phone, which has a terrible overly bright dac, each cymbal hit gives me a mini migraine with the Mezeā€™s. But on any of my amps, i can listen to the same track with them fine.

1 Like

i mean there all really kossā€™s anyways

KOSS pro-40 optimus

1 Like

I probably mentioned this earlier, but in my experience over the last three years I didnā€™t find these headphones scaled at all.
And then I plugged them into a low impedance tube amp and wow.
So much cleaner. The bass and all the instruments are cleaner, clearer and more distinct. Really surprised me in a good way. Nice to get a pleasant surprise. :+1:

2 Likes

i run mine mostly on my lyr3, sometimes my sprout100. rarely off of my phone.

I really enjoy it off my LG V30 and that has been most of itā€™s use over the years. But now I will try it more off the tube amp.

One thing about this hobby, you learn new stuff every week. :grin:

2 Likes

my phone is a googleā€¦shit dac

I want to try some pad swaps and thomann shipping is 20euro. Considering a t50rp just to get free shipping lol.

The stock pads lose isolation on my head very easily. If Iā€™m chewing gum or something the outside noise leaks to the beat of my chewing.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m missing an earlier post, but are you talking about swapping pads on your 99s? Stock t50 pads are not great. I definitely wouldnā€™t swap to them, if that is what you are talking about.

Swap on the 99s. The pads are too thin/small to seal on my head consistently.

I want to order some 840 1540 1840 shure pads but shipping is a bit too much for some pads.

Where in the world are you located to make shipping that expensive?

20ā‚¬ shipping on a 85ā‚¬ order sucks man. I feel you.

1 Like

Romania, not that far from Germany. But I think thomann just has fixed shipping cost for some areas.

Brainwavz HM5 Velour fits and I think sounds better. Tames the bass and opens them up a bit.

1 Like

Already on my list, just need amazon UK to have them in stock. Iā€™d order directly from BW but that means China shipping and having to go to local customs, which is a major PITA.

I have the Brainwavz HM5 Velours on it and Iā€™d be hesitant to say they fit - were you able to get these in the grooves? Otherwise they just wrap around the cup lol. They do sound nice though.

@Antpage2 - have you tried them on a tube/hybrid? They sound really good. I mean I think they sound good anyway, but yeah.

1 Like

omg lol! well whatever works :laughing: it looks ok. i havenā€™t tried other pads on them. i should but im afraid to increase the soundstage. i really like them with the pads they came with.

No i havenā€™t. Iā€™ll have to check that out. thanks

2 Likes