šŸ”· Neumann NDH20

I agree with that assessment. I admit that with what little time I had with them, wasnā€™t spent criticizing the sound. They sounded alright.

The main thing I took away was that they hurt. Unlike the ATH-M60x that sounded great but became painful after hour 2; The Neumann were painful within 10 minutes and sound wise I wasnā€™t blown away.

With the other HP suggestions I wasnā€™t really considering those as alternatives sound wise, just strictly dollars to dollars. I donā€™t mix audio or use headphones in a professional setting, so I couldnā€™t give a recommendation there.

The only other headphone I had to compare these to were my dumpy pair of ATH-M50. As bad as it sounds I actually preferred the M50s.

These just werenā€™t for me I think.

1 Like

I am looking to sell mine. I am in Australia. Please pm me if interested.

Guys Iā€™m looking for a substitution for my oppo pm3. About 500-600ā‚¬ max. I travel often so I need a closed back. I would upgrade in term of sound quality from the oppo but Iā€™m quite lost. Do you think the nhd420 is a good option ? Or any other suggestion ?

You need more than a FiiO Q5s power wise. It needs a lot to fully accelerate. It blocks sound well. It is heavy and youll need to order a custom cable.

Thinking of saving up for the MEST so Iā€™m considering selling my pair of Neumanns (and the Tin P1 btw) and just wanted to see if anyone from the EU is interested?

Maybe put a post here?..

1 Like

Cool, thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi guys, just wanted to say that the Sennheiser HD 280 replacement headband cushions fit the Neumann perfectly.

4 Likes

Will do a bit of raise from your grave in this post, but guess itā€™s still better than creating a new one :slight_smile:

Bang for buck, NDH20 at 649 CAD or DT 177X GO at 597 CAD for general purpose music?

I generally like Beyer signature, got a DT880 that I use on the piano but in terms of closed my only reference would be the M50X.

Or maybe something else at this price range? Needs to be closed, but I would love to try some planars :smiley:

Thanks,

EDIT/UPDATE: Is anywhere else here really pleased with the synergy between the NDH20s and the ZX507. I have had the hardest time finding a solid HP that pairs nicely with the ZX507. Even Sonyā€™s own Z7M2 has left a lot to be desired with the ZX507. Iā€™m thinking the warmer signature of the ZX507 + the lack of power creates a warmer, musical sounding NDH20 which is excellent.

Just got the Neumann NDH20s!

I havenā€™t found them nearly as uncomfortable as others have said - in fact, I actually really enjoy wearing them for hours on end. I could see the headband being uncomfortable if you lack a full head of hair to provide a little extra comfort. Earpads just sort of rest on the sides of my head without much pressure - which is odd cuz Iā€™ve got a large head (XL hats).

Sound signature-wise, Iā€™m a fan. They do perfectly fine on portable amps (GO Blu, KA3, Q3, etc.) but I could definitely see how theyā€™d really shine with more power. Hoping to pull the trigger on an iFi micro iDSD soon, then Iā€™ll really be able to push them.

1 Like

Havenā€™t used the 177X GO, but I am familiar with the Beyerdynamic signature and personally I liked the NDH20 better. I do think, however, that the 177X would be 1) Even easier to drive, 2) more comfortable, and 3) and has the potential to be a more smoothed out version of the 1770 which would lend itself to being a better fit across more genres.

That said, and I could be wrong on this, the NDH20 sound signature shares more similarities to the M50x than to the Beyerdynamic signature.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Focal Elegia?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Honestly, comfort also worries me - this is going to be my bread and butted headphones for using the whole day while working at home. This is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards the 177x more.

@ZeosPantera mentioned in one of his comments that at that price range, the NDH would be a better option, but I am under the impression that it may be also a bit boring?

Anyway - I thought about the elegia, especially since it costs 400 bucks now from Adorama. BUT, Iā€™ve heard horrible stories about it snapping easily and I am worried about customer service here in Canada.

Yeah, I havenā€™t found the NDH20 to be boring at all. Itā€™s not dramatically emphasized in any area, but its also not dry and sterile like a great many studio headphones.

Zeos hated the Z7M2, but that has potential to be a really fun headphone; plus, its incredibly comfortable and well built (in my opinion).

What sort of music do you listen to?

Iā€™d say the 177X are going to be the safer option for you. Based on reviews and knowledge of the Beyerdynamic brand, theyā€™re well built and comfortable. I canā€™t imagine them disappointing.

Yeah, I agree. I listen mostly to rock, acoustic and quite a lot of classic - solo and orchestra.

Bang for buck, I am sure the Elagia would be great but I am honestly worried about durability and customer support access. Whatā€™s been keeping me from the NDH20 are comfort and a more flat (analytical?) sound.

Because honestly - price per price they are on the same league around here :slight_smile:

I meanā€¦ I realllyyy like the NDH20 precisely for those genres.

Coincidentally, my wife got me the DT177X for my b-day!

Great pair of headphones - all the positive reviews out there on the inter webs hold true.

Still prefer the NDH20s tho for most things - I even find them more comfortable (and I know Iā€™m in the minority there). The mids are less recessed and the highs more tamed - the NDH20s would be a more linear headphone in that sense. Iā€™d say genres where acoustic timbre is necessary (basically anything with a stringed instrument or acoustic drum set) is going have greater weight and presence on the NDH20, but the DT177X are going to excel at your electric and/or bass-heavy genres.

1 Like

Soooo, hereā€™s the thing. I was dead sure on going for the 177X but there was somethingā€¦ a little something that was bothering me. So I ordered the NDH20 to compare but itā€™s still very, very hard to decide.

Both of them are really comfortable, had no issues with NDH20. In fact, I believe the NDH20 is even a bit more comfortable than the 177X, which for some reason the pads tend do be angled in my head so not a perfect seal below my ear.

Sound wise, NDH20 has fenomenal clarity and separation. But the 177x has a lot more dynamic range, thereā€™s a wooooomph in the sound that I like a lot. In short, for some tracks NDH is better; For others I prefer 177x:

Mountains - Hans Zimmer (Interstellar OST): When it opens up, NDH is ok, itā€™s normal. 177x gives you goosebumps.

Bird On a Wire - Jennifer Warnes: Itā€™s a toss - NDH gives me a lot of clarity but the 177X sort of rides with with music.

Happy Together - The Turtles: This is a clear NDH win. Right at the beginning, I can clear hear the right channel, left channel and the singer right in the middle and then everything has itā€™s own layer. 177x is a bit more convoluted.

Put it on the Line - The Heavy: This is 177x territory. Itā€™s punchy, itā€™s fun and again great when it opens up.

So, basically, Iā€™ve got no freaking idea of what to do :smiley:

1 Like

Feel the exact same way - except, Iā€™m going to keep both!

1 Like

I gave away my NDH-20 to a friend for a Christmas present along with a Hip DAC since theyā€™re going from USB gaming headphones to that. I canā€™t say I miss the NDH-20 and only really think Iā€™m bothered about is never heard them on an OTL amp (ZOTL doesnā€™t count).

They are clear but the NDH-20 still feels like itā€™s too constrained. Comfort wasnā€™t bad but it wasnā€™t great either, I could wear it for hours and it was tolerable.

Only issue with the headphones is that for an audiophile headphone is that theyā€™re too flat and the headphones basically keep the driver from ringing to really allow the music to make an impact. But my buddy needed a headphone for recording use for multiple pod-casts and shows he produces and that is where the NDH-20 really shines. Nothing will resonate enough to step on other frequencies. Imaging and instrument separation are solid as they should be for a recording headphone. If you value as close neutral I can say for the money, itā€™s a good headphone (there are other fantastic options).

1 Like

Yeah, I was reluctant to call these linear headphones as others have, but after comparing them up against the DT177Xs, I see it. NDH20s are linear with a downward slant - detail retrieval, timbre, all that are on point but there is a lack of clarity/energy when compared against the DT177X. The DT177X are some energetic headphones - they breathe a lot of life into whatever youā€™re listening, especially with the right DAC/amp pairing. Even something simple like my iFi GO Blu (Iā€™m going for a GO theme) pairs nicely and XBass (while it isnā€™t iFiā€™s strongest rendition of it in the GO Blu) adds nice thump and texture to an already strong display with the DT177X.

But alas, this isnā€™t a thread for the DT177X!

By all accounts, the NDH20s should be a ā€˜boringā€™ headphone. Linear, not the most comfortable (to some), closed/intimate sound. Nothing about them screams, ā€œIā€™m going to breath life into your music!ā€ ThiagoGuedes said it well with listening to ā€œMountainsā€ on Interstellar - its good, but not goosebump worthy. And yet, I am absolutely loving the NDH20s - more so than any other closed back Iā€™ve tried.

My top 5 favorite artists are (in no particular order);

• Strahan
  • Passenger
  • Twenty-one Pilots
  • Blanco White
  • Chris Renzema

All of them, in my opinion, are excellent songwriters and very talented. And all except 21 Pilots have a very simple setup - usually, an acoustic guitar and their voice. With the linear performance, smooth timbre, and intimate style of the NDH20 - I can close my eyes and picture them performing in my living room. I love that!