Reccomended headphones for me?

half a joke half me questioning why i even want this when i already have OK headphones and should just accept i have bad hearing

but who knows… maybe i’ll have enough for a good amp and fucking modhouse argons or something. or i could do 58X

It all depends on you. If you want to wait and save for something you feel will be better for you, that’s not a bad option.

I’ve found opinions here to be much inline to what the headphone actually is… I’m of the same opinion as m0n and find the 58x nice and warm

i dunno basically i just want a new equalizer because that would do the same thing for me personally and now i dunno if i should trust the site or the forum (MAKE THE SITE OPEN SOURCE!) and if i will even hear a difference because of my bad hearing (tinnitus mixed with not being able to hear 15khz unless i turn my volume up to 100)

So m0n is a very trustworthy and knowledgeable member with a wealth of experience and if I’m being honest I find the guide to be a little bit of an after thought at times… you could also read the 58x official thread and check out some reviews… zeos and dms (the creators of this while thing lol) have video reviews also

While the HD58X have good treble and all, they are best in the lower half of the frequency response. The mids are thick and warm and the bass is good enough for hip hop. Remember that Hi-Fi is not just about highs and details. It’s the whole sound. If you listen to a lot of rock then they are a great choice. You shouldn’t have to worry about waking anyone up unless you are BLASTING your music or they are in the same room as you (a door will block it just fine). I would say get the HD58X and see how you feel. They where good enough to set me sound the path of Hi-Fi.

2 Likes

buying the 58X’s soon… i also figured out my issue with my digital sources was probably the lack of bass… when testing my LP setup the bass was more punchy and powerful. which is what i like

1 Like

i got my final budget of about 200 max with no amp or 100 for magni and heaphones

basically i like my M50s sound… maybe i dont even need new headphones because i like these…the 58X might be useful but i dunno how high the volume will have to be to work on a laptop since it has a 150 ohm impedence and i dunno what headphones have a similar punchiness to bass and clear vocal and mid like the M50s

especially since i dont care about open or closed because i know literally nothing about soundstage and the idea of a more open sound just sounds like “why dont i just get speakers”

Volume will not be a problem with the HD58X. If you are ever concerned about volume output look at the sensitivity (dB/mW). The HD58X are 104dB/mW, so plenty loud off of most any source.

As for soundstage, it’s different from speakers. All I really have to say is the HD58X are not very wide so this won’t really be a concern.

3 days with the 58X and i like them… i feel like they are a bit dark compared to what i want (also this is a nitpick but the M50s have colder pads which feel a lot better) but the bass is pretty good, usually is good with midrange (except some songs by slowthai or queens of the stone age where vocals get muddy) and i guess im more used a V shape than i thought

but i am perfectly fine with these so far and the only major thing i’d need is a new DAC because my laptop can only do 16/48 so all audio is downsampled weirdly and i feel i can get even better sound

The mids are muddy on the 58x’s?

on the lower mids… specifically on some male vocals when there is a lot of bass

hmm Ive never seen anyone complain about the mids on the 58x specifically calling it muddy. bubt the change from v to mid centrik could make it seem that way

though it could also be because im using a powered speakers headphone amp to drive them and not something like a magni heresy (i’ll get to that in the future)

maybe. the output impedance might be a bit much for something like the 58x.

Those usually aren’t great for powering headphones. You might actually like the sound straight out of your phone or something instead. Just have fun experimenting!

Glad you are enjoying them! Definitely listen to them out of other sources… I think you should get a pretty nice quality boost out of the heresy when you get around to picking one up.

i tried out the same queens of the stone age song with my computer and it sounded bad still

the M50s actually made songs for the deafs master decent

That’s probably just showing what you like with headphones. You like a certain sound signature more probably. If you really do think you would like something different, you could try something else. Or another thing you could do is get some good IEMs.