What did you buy today? (Part 2)

It’s going into my Xd-05 original

1 Like

Damn I wonder how much cash we spent on that original thread compiled… Anyway here’s today’s get

10 Likes

Got the Back to the Future 4K box set in for family movie weekend, a huge zippered case for all my iems, some comply tips for my Etymotic ER2XR’s and my $30 dollar thrift store haul of classical and of course the Mortal Kombat soundtrack lol. You should have seen the lady’s face at checkout. And let me tell ya if I had more room this $35 piano would have came with me.

12 Likes

Excellent. Best of luck!

Have fun with it Mcfly :grin::+1:

1 Like

Well, I had a good run (of saving money), but that all came crashing to an abrupt end today:

The OG MEST were game changers for me. I set out to get customs for my wife and myself for Christmas, but that fell apart, because audiologist appointments weren’t available until early January. Then my appointment got canceled the day before because of out-of-control Covid numbers. Now Covid numbers are back down, and I finally got a new appointment scheduled for 6 days from now. But UM is releasing a new version of MEST. :dizzy_face:

I ordered MK II universals (with expedited shipping), so I can try to figure out which version to get in customs. Hopefully the universals come in quickly so I don’t have to drag out the custom order much longer. Looking forward to finding out whether UM managed to improve on the original design, or whether messing with “perfection” ruins the magic.

13 Likes

Super stoked to see what you think! OG mests are truly an endgame for me as well, to the point where im not even sure what they could change without loosing the magic

1 Like

“Oh, that’s about as funny as a screen door on a battleship”. LMAO

2 Likes

or a submarine

After much fuckery with FedEx I now have a pair of Grado Hemps on the way. With a nice wood box for them. Ugh. FedEx. Why are you the way you are?

6 Likes

I admit I watched the Back to the Future film series too much with my buddy back in the day.:grin:
We still joke about it today.
And for me, it’s still one of the best classic films ever made.
And only a true fan understands the jokes.

I’ve also sat in a real Dolrian, only without the flux compensator.:crazy_face:
And would that really be technically possible and would you like to undo certain things? Hell yes, I would be there.

Apart from that, the film explains best about time travel, which still exists in Hollywood today.
I really have seen the film too much and too often.:grin:

4 Likes

Same for me. Here’s a quick rundown on key changes:

The shell is now 3d printed, smaller, and “more ergonomic.”

The bone conductor is now “dual sided” and more of a full-range driver. FR graph:

Nominal specs have changed a bit:
OG = 14Ω, 118dB sensitivity
MkII = 12.3Ω, 112dB sensitivity

All this suggests to me that the overall signature may be significantly different, which is part of what pushed me to just jump on this purchase and see what they did with our beloved MEST.

3 Likes

“Why don’t you make like a tree and get out of here.”

2 Likes

:flushed:

I mean, maybe put that in the Deals thread and tell us where it is, lol.

2 Likes

I received my Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 I purchased for the Focal Clear MG Pro.

I really like it, it’s very well made and has a nice feel to it. Trevor was also very helpful and provided excellent service, ensuring I received exactly what I wanted.

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Silvergarde-S3-C-Clear-21-awg-silver-occ-litz-replacement-headphone-cable-focal-utopia-elegia-elear-meze-empyrean-sennheiser-hd800-hd800s-hd820-zmf-auteur-eikon-atticus-verite-audeze-lcd-2-3-4-4mx-xc-x-sony-z1r-hifiman-susvara-arya

18 Likes

Bought 6 pink buttons and 1 balltop for my old arcade stick

17 Likes

I have a feeling I’m picking this up tomorrow, got the ok, third floor apartment should be interesting

2 Likes
2 Likes

I was hanging with my friend this past weekend and he works for UPS. He explained to me that with FedEx you own a route and and hire your own drivers. Perhaps they are more inconsistent because of having no centralized training system?

1 Like

My (very) humble desktop set up currently. Purchased the Asgard and Modius late last year with a subsequent venture through several different headphone pairings.

An interesting journey that has made me realize that no matter how many reviews you watch, you’re not likely to know what a headphone will actually sound like until you get it on your head and press “play”. I was certain I would like a bunch of these, but perhaps I’m just new to this and will come circling back to a few of these as I try more headphones out.

DT 880 600ohm: harsh, bright and brittle, but very detailed. I actually purchased a Beyer A20 amp to pair with it initially but that sounded even worse than the Asgard 3. Somewhere in the 11-14k range a murderous quality can be found in songs with any kind of lo-fi hiss. At the time I couldn’t pinpoint it, but looking back I think they were a bit shouty as well, which added to the fatique. They sound much more full bodied in Zeos review of them? Perhaps they really are that amp picky, or perhaps I had a defective pair?

Meze 99 Classics: mid range be damned but not painful like the 880s. Essentially Beats wrapped in a pretty package - not exactly the hi-fi experience I was looking for. They are incredibly fun with Hyperpop though; I feel like that genre is made for these headphones. They are fairly comfortable but not more than many other consumer closed backs in the same price range.

AKG K371…Nothing about the timbre on these is natural. Super thin and hollow with some significant frequencies response drops? Probably the worst headphones I’ve ever listened to. Of course the build was suspect as soon as I opened the box for it, so it’s not entirely unlikely they were defective on arrival. Or perhaps I just really dislike Harman tuning lol.

Which brings me to this past week.

Found some Blon B20s through AVexchange for 250 bones and my curiosity got the better of me. A tiny bit bright and slightly shouty at times, though nothing to the extent of the DT880s. Very subtle EQ between 2-4k and 8-11k make these a really solid headphone. These are of course my first Planar, and I really enjoy the textured bass on them, plus the midrange is present but clear. They also have that technical strength and detail retrieval I was looking while maintaining a solidly natural timbre. They make a convincing argument that my Asgard isn’t broken lol. Not a perfect headphone (they have terrible imaging for gaming, for instance), but for the price I’m quite happy with these!

Altogether, It’s been a fun ride! I really want to try some Audezes next since those were my first exposure to hifi gear a few years back. I can’t remember which one’s I listened to or which I liked, but I remember listening to some Led Zeppelin and just being blown away by the detail and texture of each track. Been chasing that feeling ever since lol. On to the next one!

15 Likes