đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 R

I wonder if this comes from Beyerdynamic as a whole, or specifically their NA division. I have called and emailed the NA office with no responses. I actually came to this thread hoping someone might have heard anything about a re-stock.

What I would not give to live in Europe right now and have access to in-stock Tygr 300R at a price equivalent to $165usd.

It was in stock for a good while there, just keep an eye on it. It pops in and out of stock consistently.

could always just post some wanted ads up on the buy/sell thread here, head-fi, reddit and others see if someone is willing. When it goes on sale here its usually like $175

Yeah I hesitated too much the last time.

I’m thinking about buying the tygr 300 r, but I have one small problem. Since the tygrs are only 32 ohms I don’t know if I should buy an amplifier. I am in the market for a good pair of headphones that I can use with a standalone microphone. Everything that I have seen has been pretty unclear about whether the sound quality would improve or stay the same. would it be worth it to buy an amp, and if so which one should I get (no more than $150).

I’ve driven them off of my phone and they sound excellent. TBH i don’t here much of a difference between my phone and my asgard 3. i did notice a tiny bit of distortion in the mids when plugged into my phone but thats about it.

Depends on the motherboard, these really don’t take much driving power at all and most motherboards that are up to date will run them just fine. It runs on consoles well too even my phone granted my phone sounds a little quieter than I would like, but it has a rather weak audio chip in it.

Pretty sure I have said this during my review, but the audio barily changes at all when using an amp. These are not picky headphones whatsoever. I see that @JJPablo here is saying the same which I completely agree. I would just say avoid using a more warm amp as it can lead to some slight distortions in some songs. The headphone just can’t seem to take any increase in bass increments outside of slight adjustments(or a pad swap that but makes the bass super muddy and boomy).

Depends on if you plan to buy another headphone at some point. If you are, go ahead and pick up an amp, however if you don’t have a dac then consider a Combo unit at that price point. Ifi zen Dac is a warm amp but it doesn’t horribly interfere with the tygrs(just for the love of everything don’t hit the bass boost button
 sounds like you put your ear next to a running garbage truck crushing things from how much distortion you get) or something like a Soundblaster G6 or X3. G6 over there has a better dac so if you want a better amp later(consider g6 isn’t all too powerful) you can just plug a dedicated amp into the g6 and keep that as your dac and be good to go. It also is compatible with consoles(new gens may need an adapter).

If your going to shop for an amp/dac look at Head-fi, Amazon, Ebay, Buy/Sell and Looking for Thread here on the site, https://www.reddit.com/r/AVexchange/ here on reddit, USA Audio Mart, and lastly https://www.hifishark.com/ can scour multiple sites for a deal by typing in the item name in the search bar. 3rd party you will save a ton of money. just always use Paypal with an invoice so your protected financially and make sure they have photos showing the condition of the item and a little card showing the date and their username which proves ownership. Gives you security during sales

weird, my phone made it sounds a touch brighter, like I had some ever so slight sibilance on some vocals while listening to some youtube videos. May have been a bad recording but it was quite a few videos. Nothing really bothering for me personally, just noticeable.

Wow I didn’t think people would reply this fast, thanks for the suggestions!

I have an msi b450 gaming plus max.

Your completely fine

DEDICATED HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER THAT AUTO-DETECTS IMPEDANCE The built-in dedicated headphone amplifier rewards audiophiles with headphones up to 600Ω impedance by delivering studio-grade sound quality from your gaming PC. Audio Boost 4 automatically detects the optimal impedance for your headphones and adjusts the output for the best sound quality.

quoted from https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC
used pro carbon ac as example as question came up before)
I wouldn’t try 600 ohms but thats one of those boards that can crank 250 ohm headphones.

Ok, thanks for the help! This is the first time I’ve been on this website so I don’t know why it broke up my original post into 3 separate posts.

Lol, no worries. Glad to be of help. Welcome to Hifiguides, if you have any further questions feel free to ask or create another thread for questions. Plenty here who can help you out.

if you mean my response? When you highlight something I say it will give you an option to quote me. That was me segmenting the post so I can talk about it in particular

I’ll definitely come back if I have any issues. I’ve been trying to come upon some of that info for days. There aren’t many detailed reviews of this pair. Thanks for the help!

My write up review on these in particular is on this page just a ways up. That was when I finally sat down with them early on. Fantastic headphones. Granted my thoughts on the amp have changed a bit since my own pc upgrades and it really does a solid job at competitive gaming

Yep yep, take it easy and happy gaming

Hey I got the TYGR 300 in the end! But it came with the fox mic. I am using it, my friends said that it sounded really good. However I am just wondering, is there a difference between using the fox mic as a ?amp or should I directly plug the headphones into the motherboard?

Thanks for your advice again!

It’s a preamp and will be able to provide more power and a slightly better sound quality than an onboard audio as they were designed to be used together, also lets you have chatmix hearing your own voice if you prefer otherwise turn the dial on it so you can’t hear yourself.

eh, so so. Definitely would by no means consider that a “Good” sounding microphone as it’s quite warm and rather inaccurate. I have some gaming headset mics that sound better than that thing. Regardless, it works so if you like it, stick with it.

My Tygrs arrived yesterday and so far I love them! Sound wise anyway

The clamp force I feel below my ears is real, but I can stretch that out. My issue is more with the ear fit.

My left ear just is not sitting well and gets uncomfortable against the driver no matter how I adjust. This is most noticeable at the top of my ear in particular. Right ear sits fine for whatever reason, and my wife (smaller ears) has no issues.

Do I just need to break them in more? Or is it just a bad fit and I need to start looking at either deeper pads or different shaped headphones?

Spend a few days stretching them out and breaking them in. If this still doesn’t work you can always get some thicker velour pads for the headphone. Dekoni Elite Velour works

1 Like

How do they TYGRs compare to the 400i? They will be my main-driver for everything. Mainly music (metal and hard rock) and multiplayer gaming but also watching videos and movies.

TYGRs seem to be a great pick, but I heard Planars are another level too, which makes me look into the 400i 2020. Which of the 2 is better? I am not looking for awesome gaming performance or anything, just overall-objectively-better sound.

Depends on the planar and what the person is looking for in sound.

both are good and depends on use case, better is subjective and unanswerable.

Tygr are beyerdynamics and built like a tank 400i are hifiman and generally have concerns about quality control and are built quite cheap imo, velour pad vs a hybrid pad, warm signature vs a bright signature, dynamic vs planar, 32 ohm at 96 db vs 35 ohm at 93 decibel, weight 290 gram vs 370 gram. Tygr is subjectively better for gaming in all case scenarios outside of needing more brightness

400i is a bass lite bright headphone. It is not good for this particular genre of music. Go with the tygr in this use case.

1 Like

If you want open back for these genres i would suggest:
Tygr, Fidelio X2HR, HD650 or if you want planar the t20rp. I think the t20rp is the weakest here.

Falkenor is right. The Hifiman isn’t the right headphone for metal and hard rock.

Closed back for rock: Dt250, Custom Studio, Meze 99 Classic, Sony Mdr 1a. My favourite closed back for music is the B&O H6 2nd gen. This works also pretty good for rock. Good dynamics/impact superb texture quality, deep bass, decent soundstage with good imaging

1 Like