IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Saw moondrop post pics of wut seems to be a TWS iem on their Twitter. I’d be highly interested if it performs similarly to their current lineup.

Carrying on about folks rating/listing their purchases…I’m all for it but everyone has different expectations on what a particular set offers sound and value wise…my biggest concern is how people rate a certain sound signature as this’s so very personal…as I said I know what Chris likes and why, so this gives me insight to what a particular IEM will actually sound like…apart from that I pretty much go off of a couple of other reviewers I trust.

4 Likes

Secondhand bargains?..

I’m mesmerised by the two Campfire sets in my possession…On the one hand the Andro’s (my go to serious listening set for my library) and the new kids on the block the Vega’s…The Vega’s are a super fun V shape with a solid DD bass that rattles my head, might have a slight mid/upper mid dip :man_shrugging: (don’t do graphs) but with the amazing Campfire treble sparkle…Where as the Andro’s bass isn’t so in your face, Mids and highs are pretty perfect for me, plenty of space, polished and the highs delivered without any sibilance.
I like Ken Balls stuff :+1:
I know they ain’t cheap but secondhand they really can be a bargain imho #Campfire fan boy lol.

1 Like

So correct me,if I’m wrong, but has there been just an sonion EST only iem released yet? I would be intrested in hearing impressions if so. I think with a good seal EST drivers are not bad,on their own in the over ear world so hoping it translates well etc.

Also cost, be nice to save some $$$…

I am pretty sure that EST´s are good only for the treble region. Thats why its paired with a DD, DD+BA.

Maybe, I know diaphragm size is important so that could have something to do with it is it would need to be the size of a stax in ear or one of the audeze in ears etc. But they place multiple est drivers in them now with the sonion set up, dont see why it shouldn’t work if you can fit enough of them in there. Chonky bois engage. LOL

The Sonion “EST” drivers are actually electrets. The Shure electrostatic IEMs are true electrostats, and have an external power supply.

It is pretty strange that they can still market it as an electrostats even though it isn’t…

I thought the same, but for an electet driver, it is highly sophisticated since it does come with a drive unit attached to the driver. Not like the olf style where it’s a coating on the driver that provides the bias charge etc.

I agree, they are certainly very nice electret drivers, but are only tweeters currently.

1 Like

Yea they do not provide specs on their website either, I like that they put the fr of their other drivers online tho. Would still like to know what they can do.

1 Like

So, now that my Moondrop Starfields are now here, it is time to use this for the whole day. So far though, they are so freaking good when it comes to the sounds I want. I might have to revamp my tier list since I got these on my hand now and I will give you guys an insight after I am done like breaking them in or something.

A selfish wish/assumption instead of prediction, but I’m hoping the Chi-fi cream starts rising to the top in a more readily apparent way. As someone who only recently got back into the hobby after years away, it’s been overwhelming trying to figure out all this Chi-fi stuff; which brands to trust in terms of build quality and post sales service.

I am in the market for mid-price IEM (no more than $750 including any replacement cable I’d need to get so I can run 4.4mm balanced, most likely a modular system like DUNU). My goal is to come up with like 3 or 4 candidates and just grab the ones I can get on the best deal.

This has been a daunting task. This will probably sound bad, but as of right now, I don’t think I’d be willing to gamble several hundreds of dollars on very many of these companies. Sadly, thus far, the Chi-fi companies I feel like I can trust don’t seem to have anything in that price range that intrigues me. I’m hoping the mere passing of time will sort out which Chi-fi companies are in this for the haul, providing quality build along with fair pricing. IOW, I might not be buying by the end of the year as I had originally planned. It’s probably going to take awhile for good ol’ competition to thin out the Chi-fi herd a bit.

1 Like

Well if you want the ones that have passed the test of time here are some example (on stuff I heard, not including stuff I havent tried):

Blon 03
LZ A6
Tin Hifi P1 (WITH EQ!!!)
Urbanfun ISS014
Shozy Form 1.1
Moondrop Blessing 2

These iems still sound good and on par newer stuff.

(I do want to include the Fiio FH3 for its SQ but that one just released…)

As you should be.

Chi Fi Needs to step up thier QC

Steer clear of Thieaudio then, and do not buy the Urbanfun. Moondrop has been known to have wide unit variation QC issues.

Fiio is going to be the best QC of all Chi Fi.

If you want to steer clear of Chi Fi altogether, be ready to spend a lot more money to get the kind of quality Chi Fi is pumping out.

1 Like

So not an iem but, another beryllium coated from fiio could potentially be good lol? Decided to make an official thread because why not

1 Like

Ooooo this is interesting. Haven’t seen this form factor in a long time!

It’s been in the background and budget realm, but nice to see more high end earbuds lol

True. I have only seen them in budget, did not know that this form factor was made in high end audio.