IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Yea they do not provide specs on their website either, I like that they put the fr of their other drivers online tho. Would still like to know what they can do.

1 Like

So, now that my Moondrop Starfields are now here, it is time to use this for the whole day. So far though, they are so freaking good when it comes to the sounds I want. I might have to revamp my tier list since I got these on my hand now and I will give you guys an insight after I am done like breaking them in or something.

A selfish wish/assumption instead of prediction, but I’m hoping the Chi-fi cream starts rising to the top in a more readily apparent way. As someone who only recently got back into the hobby after years away, it’s been overwhelming trying to figure out all this Chi-fi stuff; which brands to trust in terms of build quality and post sales service.

I am in the market for mid-price IEM (no more than $750 including any replacement cable I’d need to get so I can run 4.4mm balanced, most likely a modular system like DUNU). My goal is to come up with like 3 or 4 candidates and just grab the ones I can get on the best deal.

This has been a daunting task. This will probably sound bad, but as of right now, I don’t think I’d be willing to gamble several hundreds of dollars on very many of these companies. Sadly, thus far, the Chi-fi companies I feel like I can trust don’t seem to have anything in that price range that intrigues me. I’m hoping the mere passing of time will sort out which Chi-fi companies are in this for the haul, providing quality build along with fair pricing. IOW, I might not be buying by the end of the year as I had originally planned. It’s probably going to take awhile for good ol’ competition to thin out the Chi-fi herd a bit.

1 Like

Well if you want the ones that have passed the test of time here are some example (on stuff I heard, not including stuff I havent tried):

Blon 03
LZ A6
Tin Hifi P1 (WITH EQ!!!)
Urbanfun ISS014
Shozy Form 1.1
Moondrop Blessing 2

These iems still sound good and on par newer stuff.

(I do want to include the Fiio FH3 for its SQ but that one just released…)

As you should be.

Chi Fi Needs to step up thier QC

Steer clear of Thieaudio then, and do not buy the Urbanfun. Moondrop has been known to have wide unit variation QC issues.

Fiio is going to be the best QC of all Chi Fi.

If you want to steer clear of Chi Fi altogether, be ready to spend a lot more money to get the kind of quality Chi Fi is pumping out.

1 Like

So not an iem but, another beryllium coated from fiio could potentially be good lol? Decided to make an official thread because why not

1 Like

Ooooo this is interesting. Haven’t seen this form factor in a long time!

It’s been in the background and budget realm, but nice to see more high end earbuds lol

True. I have only seen them in budget, did not know that this form factor was made in high end audio.

There are plenty of more expensive earbuds:

DQSM Turandot
Astrotec Lyra
Somphonio Dragon 2/3

1 Like

Thanks! Do you know of any good ones in the $100 range? I know someone who might be interested since they can’t do in ears

I think moondrop makes one as well right? The chaconne

And ve makes some higher end ones too

I havent tried any in the 100 usd range unfortunately. But you can check my database to see which ones I have.

Here are some examples on buds I heard is good from others:

Smabat ST10/ST10S
K’s LB

EDIT: I actually forgot about the Moondrop VX Classic, it is 60 usd but It doesnt sound better than my other 10 usd buds lol.

2 Likes

Yeah they do have that.

But I got the shiroyuki, Nameless and the VX Classic and they are very overpriced.
So I assume it is the same with the Chaconne. (paying that much for something without a replaceable cable is a deal breaker for me too.)

3 Likes

I’m interested in the Etymotic ER2XR but I couldn’t find a thread for them, so I’ll ask here:

1. How does the level of isolation compare to the Mee Pinnacle PX, with or without triple flange tips?

2. Do they protrude too far from the ear to be comfortable to wear underneath noise cancelling headphones?

3. How low is the bass extension? If you use an app like Frequency Sound Generator on Android, what is the lowest you can hear below 30hz?

4. How is the sense of impact from the sub bass?

5. Anyone tried putting a foam tip or a hole punched foam earplug on the body of the unit behind the eartip? If it works this could be a good way to further increase isolation, but I’m not sure if it would be comfortable with the angle of insertion.

What types of tips deteriorate over time?

1. I haven’t heard the MEE PX, but the isolation with Etymotic IEMs is close to the best you can get, with the triple flange tips, perhaps only bested by silicone CIEMs. With single flange tips, the isolation is still above average.
  2. I can lay on my side with them seated properly with the triple flange tips.
  3. The sub bass extension is really good with the ER2XR, and the quantity is mildly boosted above neutral. Will need to test the extension.
  4. Good bass impact. Quite punchy, but not a ton of slam.
  5. I put a Dekoni foam ear tip on a Shure multi-flange tip for maximum isolation. It isolates a little more than the stock triple flange tips, but is less comfortable, and I can’t insert them as deep, and I can’t lay on my side with the modded tips. I’ll PM you a thread on the other website.
2 Likes

Foam tips do. I haven’t had any silicone tips deteriorate thus far, even on decade old IEMs.

Okay, I’m listening to the ER2XR, and using an online tone generator, I can hear the tone from 15Hz to 15KHz. That’s probably the limits of my hearing, because that is usually all I can hear with other IEMs.

1 Like

Especially Comply Foam tips. I think some foam tips last much longer than others (I think Shures last quite a while).

1 Like